I miscalculated how much time the game development would take, so I will have to post-pone the release to tomorrow. Hope you understand.
With that said, I continued work on the graphics pack today and started drawing another sprite.
To make up for this delay, I decided to talk a bit about the project I started and cancelled before working on The Viking and the Ninja project.
A few years ago, I had a dream at night. Yes, an actual dream when I slept. I dreamt about a video game concept. It felt surreal. When I woke up, I quickly typed it down into a document on my computer. The concept was a Space Harrier-esque shooting game with puzzle elements. The puzzle elements happened between the shooting segments and were stuff like shooting item X to item Y, shooting things in a certain order etc. Quite simple stuff. One puzzle I remember from the dream was shooting chess pieces to the correct place to win a quick chess battle.
The story of the game was about a girl who was in depression and needed to get out of it somehow. Her design was kinda similar to Harrier.
All of the above was brought to me in my dream. I think the depression part of the story had something to do with I having a depression myself at that time. I had the document in my HDD for some years, then I started working on it about 1-2 years ago. I fleshed out the concept and started to draw pixel art. It was extremely hard for me so I began scanning art drawn with pencil on paper, then edited it in MS Paint. Interestingly, the main palette of this project is quite similar to the one in The Viking and the Ninja, with no green colour in it.
I had most of the concept clear, the structure of the game, levels and puzzles, but not the enemy design which kinda made me stuck. I started drawing a level, a gigantic futuristic and dystopic city.
I even started making a logo, which was quite overambitious. The plan was the call the game “D…”, with the title screen initially showing just that title, and the boxart too. Then a puzzle in the middle of the game would tell the player to heat the boxart with a hairdryer or something (it would use a special kind of paper which can hide an image, which is revealed once you heat the paper a little). Here, “D…” would hide the actual title “Dreamer”. When it was known to the player, he or she could then proceed in the game and the title screen would change to “Dreamer”, with the “…” of the old title be the holes in the r, e and a letters. And that’s not even all. The upper outlines of the letters would be red to symbolize the sleep cycles we have when we sleep. The top part of the letters would be dark to symbolize the night and the bottom brighter to symbolize the day.
Unfortunately, when I worked on this concept, I got a computer virus, which corrupted most of my files. So that made me give up. A few months later, my then girlfriend broke up and I began working on The Viking and the Ninja instead. This time around, I backup my files, every single day.
That’s all for now.